Quite often affiliate programs give you a banner image to drop onto your site.
The code usually looks something like this:
<a href=”https://thirstyaffiliates.com?aff=12345“><img src=”http://example.com/link-to-the-image-on-their-server.jpg” /></a>
So what happens when you want to download the image and host it on your website so you can serve the image wrapped in your ThirstyAffiliates affiliate link code?
Here’s how you do it:
Step 1: Setup The Affiliate Link
- Goto Affiliate Links->Add New to create a new affiliate link in ThirstyAffiliates
- Set the Destination URL as the first bolded portion (note, you should be using your HTML banner code provided by your affiliate program, not the one above!)
Step 2: Save The Image And Attach
You will also want to host the image banner on your site.
- Open a new tab in your browser and visit the second bolded URL (again, from your HTML banner code, it will look similar to above)
- Right click on the image and hit save to save it to your computer
- While still on the same affiliate link edit screen click on Upload/Insert on the Attach Images section
- Click on the Upload tab in the top left, hit Upload, then find the image you saved to your computer earlier. Finally hit Add To Affiliate Link.
- Your link should automatically save itself, but if not, hit Save Affiliate link now.
Step 3: Insert your new banner code into widgets or pages
The affiliate link picker lets you insert images with your affiliate link already wrapped around it.
Open your page/post, choose where you want to drop in the banner and then hit the little green “aff” button on your editor. Find your link then click on the small image icon and select your image. It’s that simple.
If you want to add this banner to a widget you can do it this way:
- Create a new page
- Drop the affiliate link in using the Image type
- Flick your editor mode over to Text/HTML editor and copy the HTML code that it generates
- Drop this code into your widget or if your theme has a field for banners you can pop it in there
The other way you can do it is by using this guide to add a rich editor to your widgets.
So now the image is served from your own website rather than your affiliate program’s and it’s wrapped in your short ThirstyAffiliates affiliates link rather than a direct affiliate link.
Hope this helps you with your banner code!